Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cruise Control...Works!

I was able to ride Reason for the first time last Saturday, in a couple months.  We had plans to attend a horse event locally (not Reason.  My mom, Matt and I) but opted against it.  Instead we spent the evening riding!  Reason was a total trooper without second thought carried me around as we walked and trotted in and out of our "arena."  Reason seems much happier living this new life and I think having no constraints of riding/lunging in an actual arena and riding in his own pasture has proved more comfortable for him.  Obviously that will be changing as we will be trailering out to a local barn for arena use soon, but I think it's been a great way to re-introduce him to riding.

I've been continuing lunging over poles and introducing different cavaletti exercises as well, which I think has helped Reason's confidence.  Going right for him has been sticky, but with the use of poles as a guide and slowly introducing other elements has opened that side up.

Now this weekend, may be Reason's first trail ride, ever.  I've decided on a quiet, large, flat trail at a local park to take him to, but that is if there is enough time within this weekend to encompass that and also if I feel Reason is ready.  I know he is, but I do not want to over face him, especially with all the confidence he has built and trust in me.

In other news, I chopped Reason's mane off, leaving a tasteful mohawk.  I think it looks great on him!



1 Comments:

Anonymous allhorsestuff said...

You are so wonderful for Reason. I'm hoping that your first ever trail rife( or even walk along with) Reason goes well.
When I first got Wa, and was unsure of the trails...we did it together, I walked it with her. It was very, very awesome.
KK

September 22, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home